Tuesday, September 18, 2007

It's all fun and games...

I was trying to think of a good title to this blog and hey, you can end this phrase with about anything at our house.

It's all fun and games until....

You get your head jammed into a door.
You fall down the stairs holding a kid.
You find an under-aged kid holding open scissors alone in your room.
The dry erase marker doesn't come off the wall.
Your son licks your leg, feet, or face, because he thinks he is a dog.
You find 3 entire cereal boxes spilled on the floor.
You find wrappers and remnants of 12 boxes of fruit snacks in your daughters bed and a large package of oreos in her drawer, and 2 boxes of capri suns.
And a cube of butter under her pillow.
Your gerbils who are both boys have their second batch of babies in less than a month.
You have played I-Spy on the same route to and from school for 3 weeks.
Someone decides they "forgot" to do their homework at 10:00 pm.
and the list goes on....

I hear that I will miss these days, and I truthfully believe it. But I have never been a good journal writer. I have been thinking about starting a blog for awhile now and I suppose that finding humor in my days will help me appreciate this crazy time in my life. I have been so inspired by Dawn Meehan's ability to find humor in her kids. I find her fascinating. In case you may not know who she is, she is the Mom who posted a fantastic story about how Pokemon cards ended up in her shopping cart on eBay. She has been sprung into celebrity hood instantaneously - and for good reason. Here is a link to her blog...
http://mom2my6pack.blogspot.com/
and a link to a newspaper article written about her since her famous debut on eBay. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-bloggermom_03sep03,1,987830.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout .

Am I obsessive? Maybe. She writes how I feel and I am obviously not the only one who can connect with her. I am inspired by chaos. Especially if it isn't my chaos. :) I guess I like feeling like I am not the only one who was propelled into motherhood with false expectations of folded laundry, made beds, home cooked meals, and kids who adore you. I enjoy surrounding myself with less than perfect moms who maintain normal messy houses and have normal less-behaved kids.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

This is a great idea!

How about "It's all fun and games until the 5th of 5 kids are screaming in the minivan on the 45 minute ride to Grandma's house, and you still have 39 minutes to go."

Diane said...

That's AWESOME Ryan!

Patti said...

Whoa Diane..........this is a perfect site for you to express yourself in!!

Love MOM AND DAD!!!

Anonymous said...

Diane,
Thanks for sending me your funny stories. It is always good to know we are all in the same boat. It is also good for me to be reminded why I have stuck to my guns and never had any pets (yet). Keep up the good work!!