I am now the ward organist and wolf leader. As for those wolves- well, that particular group of boys is a really really good group. I like them a lot. I'll have some fun with them. Maybe if the wolves eat me then I won't have to be the organist. For those of you who will ask the same question I have been asked already several times today, here it is for you.
Your question..."Oh Diane! I didn't know you played the organ!?"
My response...
"I didn't either!"
HOWEVER... thanks to an organ lesson many years ago, I know how to play, just I'm not that good at sight reading hymns and I can make a lot of mistakes. It's great making mistakes when playing an organ. It blares out the mistakes loud and clear for all to hear!
There was once I had pushed the wrong setting for a song and the organ sounded like a ship blaring its horn coming home. I was laughing so hard I stopped playing part way through the first line and had to start over again. That was funny.
You will easily be able to tell when I make a mistake because:
1 - You can hear it.
2 - My facial expressions will tell you if you happened to miss it.
3 - When it gets really bad, I start laughing.
I have gone to the temple and fasted (yes just for my new callings), and will keep praying about it. And now that I have been set apart and my wonderful bishop has assured me that I am supposed to do this even though it would not be at the top of my list of favorite callings (or in the middle of my list - in fact, probably pretty close to the bottom), I will serve how I am needed and magnify my calling (but hopefully not the sound of my calling :) ).
Oh what fun we'll have....
I will find a way to love it too. :)
11 comments:
Oh, I, too, know the sadness that comes with leaving a Primary calling, but it's so good to move on.
It will be fun to watch you play the organ...tee hee! I'll be watching for funny facial expressions and would love a full on laugh that makes us all have to stop :) Good luck, though. That calling terrifies me.
On the Wolf note, Austin said "Niiiice" when I told him you were his new scout leader. They are a great group of boys and I know they will love you.
This was a great entry! I love it! You always make me smile, and laugh! You'll do great!
This was a great entry! I love it! You always make me smile, and laugh! You'll do great!
I loved being in Primary, too. even though people thought I wouldn't want to be there. Good luck with the organ! ;)
I am sure you will be great! Have fun with your new callings!
I know that you are sad to leave primary, but on a selfish note I am glad you will be coming to Relief Society so that when I give my lesson, you can share with the others your deep knowledge and insightful thinking. I too will be watching and listening, but as time moves on and with much practice we will all see improvement and tears running down your face as they release you from this calling also.
YOU WILL DO AN AWESOME JOB!!!!!
Sure do love you Diane.
You were the best in Primary! Thanks for helping me out with Camo in there...
Haha! Great post Diane! I'm excited for you to have this calling, I really hope I can have it someday. I am taking piano lessons now, and I am learning simplified Hymns. I'll just keep on practicing!
Good luck with the organ!
Hey I love Kim's comment... I hadn't thought of that... you'll be in Relief Society... YEAH. Hey if we sit next to each other we can coordinate or efforts to frazzle her. Just kidding.
But don't mess up too much, because then we'll both be up there laughing hard and I've made a fool of myself enough in front of everyone in the ward. You missed the Sunday I was teaching false doctrine in Gospel Doctrine or the day I had that allergic reaction to meds and slurred and stumbled my way through the Gospel Doctrine lesson. Yup... those are the memories that people have of me... so let's not add flat out bursting out laughing while leading the music... but no pressure okay?
It couldn't be worse than the time I was playing for Relief Society and I thought we had gotten through all the verses of a hymn (my back was to the chorister) and I stopped playing and bowed my head for the prayer. When no prayer was being said I looked up and turned around to see the entire Relief Society (and the chorister) staring at me. There was still one more verse!!! Yup... those are the memories I left with that ward!
BTW you're the best and I'm so glad you're my neighbor and friend.
Awesome! I gladly hand the "organ" calling over to you!! :) Not that it was fun and all. Ha! I SO know what you mean about the blaring mistakes. Did you know that even after two years, I was nervous every Sunday...so have fun! :) You'll do great! Now, I need to get some AWESOME ideas from you for primary. You did such a great job with the song leader. Please, please send some ideas my way!!! I love you! You'll do great with those boys too! :)
Ha ha ha. That does sound a little stressful. But you will develop such a great talent.
Post a Comment