Thursday, August 21, 2008

Three down, two to go!

I just dropped my girls off at their first day of school. Basically, it went off without any major hitch, though somehow they reverted back to their terrible behavior from last year. There have definitely had worse days, but they have had much better too.

Anyway, yesterday was Brandon's first day, but today is really the first official day of school since yesterday was just for the 7th graders. Here is how my conversation with my pre-teen 12 year old went...

"Hey Brandon! How was school today?"

"Good!"

"Tell me about it."

"Ummm, okay...."

Silence

"How were your classes? Did you find them okay?"

"Yes. Some of them were a little hard but it went okay. I found them all."

"Great! Did you get a locker?"

"No. I get one tomorrow."

"Did you know anyone in your classes?"

"No."

"You didn't have any friends in any of your classes?"

"Well, I think I had a couple in one of my classes."

"Oh, that's great! Who?"

"How am I supposed to know that? I don't know!"

(I think - ummm you go to your classes and see who is there -)

"Okay. Did you meet your principal or vice principal?"

"No."

"Did lunch go okay?"

"Yeah, we had pizza and a capri sun."

"Did everything go well with your lunch account?"

"I don't have a lunch account."

"Ummm - yes you do. I put a whole lot of money on it."

"Well, if I have one I didn't use it."

"How did you buy lunch then?"

"They just gave it to me."

"Anything else?"

"No. Are you done?"

"Yep, I guess so."

So, Ryan asked Brandon how things went later - Brandon began talking up a storm and told him he had an assembly yesterday ("I thought you didn't meet your principal and vice principal. Weren't they there?" I ask him. "Yes. I didn't MEET them, I just saw them at the assembly." (of course - why didn't I think of that?). And he told Ryan about a candy bar he won in a class. He also told us that his Pre Algebra class has - 38 kids in it. (38 kids? What is that all about? An advanced math class with 38 kids and one teacher? What were they thinking?) He tells Ryan about his teachers and classes. Obviously Ryan will have to be the communicator with Brandon right now. Odd considering how much men communicate. But I guess that is why it is important to have a Mom AND Dad in the home. At least I got some out of him. Who knows how much he will want to tell me in a couple of months...

Anyway, after attitudes and my morning has come and gone, I wonder at how this school year is really going to go. I was up at 6:25 to make breakfast (we were out of milk so they couldn't have cold cereal) and get going. To get kids ready in time to take the girls to school was constant activity and I didn't even get the boys ready. They had clothing and shoes, but Jacob will be going to AM kindergarten and Cameron has to be in preschool by 8:30 - 5 minutes before the girls and Jake have to be at school. Wow. I am thinking I will be getting up at 6:15 - and that isn't even accounting for scripture study or a bad Matthew day!!! AAAHHHH!!! Welcome to the real world, right?

3 comments:

Melinda said...

Oh, I love the Brandon conversation. It made me laugh out loud. I can totally envision it! The whole family went to walk Trouble to school today and he was so mad about having his brothers with him on his way to school that he ran off ahead. Once we all realized we were walking by ourselves, S turned arouond and went home. I caught up to Trouble and he did eventually let the rest of us walk him to his class, but there was no communication after that. He's cool, he's found a chair, he's so needing to be without his mom...and he's only 8. I'm preparing for when he's 12.

Thank goodness for Dads!

Darcie said...

LOL!!! I totally remember having those kind of talks w/ my parents. What can you do? At least he will talk to Ryan, I won't talk to either of my parents. So as you witness Shelby wouldn't let me take her picture in the classroom, she told me I am a DORK!! (ok so I am but that is my right as a Mom, right) Good LUCK, I think we all need a little luck these days:)

Tami said...

What a blessing that we do have both parents. I count my blessings that I have Drew constantly. Your conversation with Brandon was so funny. Too bad we don't live closer together, I think so many of our children could have been friends.
Tami :-)