Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Adventures in shopping.

So there I am at Walmart.  I don't like going there much as it is.  But especially with kids.  However, I had just used up the second to the last Matthew diaper and I knew it was just time.  So, I headed out with the little boys before anyone else came home from school.

Cameron wanted to sit in the cart because he said his tummy hurt.  Whiner.  So I let him sit in the back.  We went around to the back to get the diapers stopping to check some clearance stuff and he just kept saying his tummy hurt.  Finally I got tired of his complaining and we headed to the bathrooms so he could sit on the toilet and see if that helped.  After a few minutes he said it didn't and so I loaded him up and decided I better stop getting distracted in case he was really truly sick.

We got the box of diapers, and I had just got the mapeline flavoring I needed when he said "Mom, I think I'm going to throw up." Uh oh.  I quickly headed the cart back towards the bathroom and slipped and almost fell.  I looked down and sure enough, I had slipped on the puke coming from my son.

Now there's definitely different types of puke.  Baby puke - really not that bad.  However, puke coming from a kid who had definitely eaten too many sugar cookies and some kind of punch is not as pleasant.

Luckily for the cart, Cameron had stood up to puke and it ended up hitting the box of diapers before splattering all over me, him and the rest of Walmart.

I have no diaper bag and I'm standing there and thinking - GREAT.  What am I going to do?  I wait for a moment to see a Walmart employee hurrying down the aisle and say - "Um excuse me.  My son just threw up and I need some help."  In true Walmart style - "Oh, I'm sorry I can't even clean up my own kids throw up so I can't help you." and she turns to leave.  No I tell her - I need rags, towels, a mop, fire hose, etc and she calls a maintenance guy to the baby area and then the department manager.

Now the department manager gets like 7000 thumbs up because she just comes right over and start helping us clean.  Like she is taking rags and actually wiping up my sons puke.  I was so impressed.  The maintenance guy was incredible too.  He offered to spray my hands with disinfectant (I actually took him up on it) and some good rags and a garbage bag for Cam in case he felt sick again.  It actually took a good 15 minutes to get the cart, box, Cameron, and floor cleaned up enough that he could mop.  I went back to the bathroom and washed Cameron and myself up again and went to check out.

We got home and cleaned up and I started feeling a little less embarrassed.  Last time something like that happened was when Rachael was a baby and we were at Target.  And it wasn't puke - it came from the other end.  And we streaked it over several aisles until I realized where that odd brown line on the ground was coming from.  That time though, I just hurried and left and didn't tell anyone.  :)  (Um so sorry if anyone stepped in my daughters poop 10 years ago at Target over by the diaper and baby supply aisles.  I wasn't quite sure what to do.)  Oh and I did have a kid throw up in the check out line at Walmart when we lived back east.  But it was an easy 10 wipe mess instead of a - well you get the picture.  

Anyway, as this was happening I was thinking about the positive things I could pull out of this situation.  (Laugh or cry, right?)
1.  I hadn't put any clothing in my basket.
2.  I was not in the food section anymore.
3.  It was at around 2:50 when most of the people I know are picking up their kids from school and not at             Walmart so they wouldn't see me.
4.  It was Cameron and not an older kid with a bigger tummy.
5.  He didn't throw up on some random stranger.
6.  Someday I would laugh at it and chalk it up to another "Mom moment".

5 comments:

Emily said...

It HAPPENS! I'm already laughing at it, so go ahead and LAUGH! It eases the trauma that poor Cam must have felt watching his mom slip in his vomit and having workers come and touch it, too!

Six-Pack Momma said...

Ahhh...The stories we have to tell! I have been ingnoring my daughter's tummy complaints this week...maybe I should heed the warning!

Tami said...

So sorry about your adventure. We have all had those. My daughter almost choked on a cough drop and I was grateful that she lived, so I wasn't to upset about her throwing up. I just walked away and told someone and let them clean it up.

Laurie said...

Way to look on the bright side! I guess it could have been worse. Haha, thanks for the laugh!

Angela said...

That kind of sounds like our week, only we found out at home, so I haven't been in public for a week and a half now. That sounds awful! I think the only public place ours have thrown up (besides airplanes--lots of those), was Noah once at a video store, and that was projectile. Horrible. Anyway, we all need good stories to look back on and tell for the rest of our lives, right?...