So here's the deal. When I found out I was pregnant, my world kind of crashed around me. Goodbye good health! Goodbye weight loss (I had lost almost 30 pounds)! Goodbye any sense of organization and direction I may have in my life! Goodbye to the slight bit of sanity I have left!
I have so disliked even looking at my blog. It wasn't that long ago, but it feels like a different age - an age where I had some control over my body. For the first time in my life I was figuring out how to make my body do something I wanted it to do. Plus most of you are doing fun projects and pictures and recording this great summer. I'm barely surviving.
And then I got pregnant. Unexpected. Uncooperative. Uncertainty.
I mean, why throw this wrench into my already hectic life? We can hardly afford our 6 kids - are you serious about adding another? We hardly fit into our house - we need to fit another kid in? We are at full capacity in our surburban - I gotta drive one of those big vans around? Argh! It's easy for me to get discouraged.
I think I found a great way to relate how I am feeling today though. Thus, why I am blogging after avoiding it for so long. I have a stack of papers in my room 3 feet tall. Not kidding. Kids school work from the last half of the year, medical papers, bills, statements, artwork from the kids, recipes, coupons - you know. At least you can imagine. Those of you with kids in school, you'll have a better understanding. I don't even keep 1/4 of the papers they bring home, but still...
Today I realized on my way out to Dr. appts for school shots for three of the kids (super early this morning) that I needed their immunization cards. That's an easy task because I keep them in one of two places. But today they weren't there. I frantically searched in the other possible places they might be with no luck. The car is running, kids buckled in - late already to my appt. And then a horrible thought came to me. (horror music now)... THE STACK OF PAPERS. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!
I run into my room and look at them. Sigh. Take a pile from the top and glance through them. All my kids immunization cards are together in a small ziploc bag. I was hoping it would just fall out of the pile and call my name. But no. I grab another stack. No luck. And another. Dang! I head back to the car defeated.
So, since I'm not wearing my shoes yet, I'm trying to untie them to get them on and my insoles inside my shoes. We get to the office - I slide my shoes on and am in near tears because of the frustration of the cards and that stack of papers.
I HATE that stack of papers. It is just like my life - a big pile of disorganized colorful good intentions that I never get around to. It is the things I can't get done, the stuff that was once important that I feel guilt for, the great and noble intentions that are past. The reminder that I am busier than should be possible. Basics are barely met. Dang papers!!!
I am grabbing stuff and running inside. I can feel my insoles are backwards and it feels like walking on stones. Silly me. No time to wait for the elevator so I rush up the stairs holding all the junk I can and my 2 year old. As I am holding back tears signing the kids in, the receptionist (who knows me by name) kindly tells me that my appointments are actually next week, but they could squeeze us in today. However, I have my OB appt in SLC at 10:30 and would have to be done with the kids by 9:15 and she didn't think that was possible.
I guess it's good news. It gives me more time to find those darn immunization cards. But it means I have to face the papers. The dreaded stack of papers. I'll probably cry while going through them because they are such a reminder of how inadequate I am. I feel so not up to the task that is in front of me. 7 kids. Oh my heck. My 6 kids don't get enough from me as it is. I guess this is when Heavenly Father will kick in and help me out somehow.
My pregnancy induced hyperthyroid is back in full swing. Last time it didn't show up until the 3rd trimester. But now I have to deal with it and all the side effects it brings to me and my baby as well as the medication to try to treat it. I'm sure it doesn't help that hyperthyroidism symptoms include anxiety (like I needed more), irritability (what pregnant woman needs that?), hard time sleeping, fast heart rate, high body temperature (great during the hot summer months), the shakes, and always hungry. Pregnancy induced hyperthyroid also brings pregnancy induced hypertension. I had that last time but didn't link them together. Sigh. This poor baby.
But for those who don't know, I'll be 13 - 14 weeks now. I have about 2-3 weeks until the nausea starts to get better (hooray!), and my energy is starting to come back. :) February may be a long time away, but Ryan assures me it will be worth it. :) I hope so. Days like today I sure question it.
Ryan said he'll help me tackle the papers tonight. I'll just throw away most of it and move on. The Lord hopefully knows that I am really doing my best with what he has given me.
8 comments:
Diane- He absolutely knows!! You are amazing- that is why you get lucky baby #7! You don't have to be perfect- just do the best you can!
Diane, I have had every one of your very real feelings. It feels like everything is an opportunity to show how inadequately you are doing. I know, right?
You have been blessed with a great sense of humor. Don't lose hold of that. It will help you survive what seems insurmountable. You only need to survive for now, and that in itself is triumph enough.
I have a stack of papers 3 feet high with exactly the same stuff in it. Let's have a BONFIRE! (well, except for the immunization papers. bleh.)
I just want to come and hug you. It will all be worth it, promise.
It's not just me? That's what I love about you Diane- you are honest. Honest with yourself and with others. He will help you through this. And as far as anyone else goes, I'm pretty sure they couldn't tackle the things you do each day. As far as I'm concerned- you've got it all together. Hope you feel better soon. {{HUGS}}
I'm sorry life is so overwhelming for you Diane! I hate stacks of paper that I don't know what to do with too. I've not had one 3 feet, so I can only imagine how tough that would be to go through. My shorter piles drive me nuts.
Remember not to be so hard on yourself, you do amazing things! You aren't expected to do it all in this stage of life. Easier said than done, but please try to see all the good things you do, no matter how big or small.I love you! If you need me to come watch your kids while you take a nap, or do whatever you want, please let me know.
I love you Diane!! Good for you for admitting how awful you feel and for being honest. My very deepest sympathies. I've been in that "just trying to survive" mode off and on for the past 2 years but it has been the worst since March up until about 2 days ago. I've had little to no energy to do even the most basic things. And even the basic things overwhelm me. Which brings the guilt, feelings of worthlessness, and the thoughts of failure. I can't even tell you how many times I have felt like death was the only way out. I would think that I would be doing my family a huge favor by not burdening them with my hopelessness anymore. For why should my family and children suffer because of all of my inadequacies?
My heart goes out to you Diane...more than I can ever say in words. I have been seeing a Natural Medicine doctor at Utah Natural Medicine in down town SLC which has helped a lot in just the last few weeks. I've been able to get off my sleeping and anxiety pills. You might consider going to him. Please know that we are all here for you and would do anything we could to make life more bearable for you. You will definitely be in my prayers. Call me anytime....801-966-5729
Diane... Diane. Wow!!! I don't know what else to say but Wow!! You need to give yourself a break. I was told by the nurse that if you loss you children immunization cards you can call the Health Dept. they keep records of that for you. I just took Shelby last week and the nurse printed me a copy of all the immunization all nice and neat so I could just give them to the school. Good luck and call me if you need anything.
I only have four and I feel that way. It's comforting that so many other capable women feel this way. We ARE normal! I think it's a sign of success. If you don't feel overwhelmed you don't have expectations for yourself/family/life. That's when you know things are bad.
This too shall pass (not soon enough) and it will give you experience (the kind that will get you committed)
Just look often at the picture of you with underwear on your head. That should help.
I just happened to come across your blog. Wow! You certainly have some strong feelings about your surprise pregnancy. While I cannot change your feelings, I can share with you some of my thoughts.
Many years ago when we only had three children, our twins (our second and third) were only five months (FIVE MONTHS) when I found out we were expecting again!!!! Needless to say, I was filled with intense trepidation! And perhaps, for a fleeting moment, I felt the feelings you are going through. However, as I took time to ponder my feelings, I realized an awful truth – the feelings I had about having to accept such an unexpected pregnancy stemmed from my extreme selfishness! Things such as: My body. My time. My well-being. My social life!! Our finances (or the lack thereof). Our “future” plans. And, the oldie but goodie, “What in the world will others think?”
It was in quiet moments that the Spirit was able to teach me that this life is NOT ABOUT ME! It is about fulfilling Heavenly Father’s plan. It is about bringing to pass the immortality and eternal life of man, and gratefully God makes us a part of the joy that He has for us.
Did my husband and I plan for each and every one of our eight children? Are you kidding?!? But I believe that when a man and a woman are married – and particularly in the temple – pregnancy is part of the covenant! Whether planned by the couple or planned by the Lord!!
I am confident that you will find joy in the journey as you turn the the Lord for His guidance.
Post a Comment