Friday, December 5, 2008

Black Friday

For those who have never shopped Black Friday, this post is dedicated to you!

Black Friday I was all infected and pussing and stuff, but there was a couple things for my kids I couldn't pass up. I tried to get them on the internet at midnight, but Walmart kept saying that I couldn't buy them until Friday - which was frustrating because it WAS Friday! Target let me buy what I wanted and by 12:45 I gave up and set my alarm for 2:00 am. I got back up and tried Walmart.com again. They were letting me shop the deals and as I had my shopping cart ready to go, the two things I wanted the most were gone from my cart with a message that they were sold out!!! I was so irritated. I tried and tried to add them, wait a minute add them, just in case they became available again. By 3:00 I was irritated and gave up, got some shoes on, and headed out to the nearest Walmart to wait there. Although everything was wrapped up in black plastic and Walmart employees were standing guard - see pictures below - people who had been there much earlier than I wanted to know had already figured out what was in each bundle and would tell you where the thing was you were looking for. (notice in the second picture how eager a guy in the background is holding on to the television he wants. It wasn't even close to the time to get them!) These pictures were taken about 3:45 am.

Anyway, after standing by my black plastic bundle, a lady came up to us and said - hey you should check the aisles - they have the items (they have to remain unnamed) in the aisle still. I hadn't even thought to look where the item would normally be. However, there were like 5 still there so I got my 2 and a couple other things I was going to have Walmart price match from other ads and just had to wait until 5 to get the special pricing. It was crazy watching people. When the time got close enough, customers started ripping off plastic, trampling each other and grabbing stuff like crazy. I was over by the DVDs at the time and there was this family that had their kids there and they just grabbed armfuls of DVDs and were throwing them in a cart. They weren't even looking at what they were getting! There was this cart full of DVD's and I heard the mom say "we'll just go through them later".

I got right in line, paid for my stuff, and was back in bed by 5:25. Most pleasant Black Friday I had ever had! (well, except when I didn't shop on Black Friday - years ago).

Now doesn't that sound like fun?

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I know some get a kick out of it, but it honestly makes me sick to think about what people turn in to in that situation. I did what I could online and let the rest go... Good for you for getting your things!

Kim said...

Now that is the way to do Black Friday! You are a trooper!!! I remember those days when I would fight for a gift, but I did it before the WalMart Superstore was up and we had to wait outside in the cold. Just so you know you are my hero even infected and all you went out!

Anonymous said...

You're very brave! Just hearing about those crazed shoppers scares me!

angela said...

I had no idea you could do part of that online! It never even occurred to me. And the only times I had ever gone I wasn't set on getting anything and just observied and was amazed my people. Kind of entertaining, but that's because I never saw the really mean stuff--otherwise not so fun to watch.