Thursday, April 2, 2009

The lone boy.

This week I was reminded of the importance of "the one".Our school does a little activity once or twice a year. This year it was called "Kick it with your kids". From 9:00 - 9:30 parents are invited to come to the elementary school and have a little breakfast with their kids while reading to them for that 30 minutes.

The intentions of this program are noble. You can imagine how excited the kids are to have their parent(s) come and read to them at their school. They get out of their classrooms and have a lot of fun.

One of the hardest things to me about this program is that there are probably close to half of the kids in the school whose parents are unable to come to the school. We live in a low income area with a few poverty areas in our school boundaries. In these areas are many single parents. There are a good number of Hispanic parents who are not fluent in any English at all. We have gangs in our area where a few of these kids parents are heavily involved in gang activity and therefore miss these opportunities.

So looking at our schools dynamics, it is easy to see how this activity is bittersweet. It is an exciting and fun time for many children at the school, and is a painful reminder to others of what they don't have. There isn't an organized place for the students left in the classrooms to go to. Some of them go with their friends to be with their friends parents, which I think is a great option. But there are some students who remain in the classrooms and quietly eat their snack at their desks.

Last year, my heart broke for the students left alone and so I went to my childrens' classrooms and gathered every kid who wanted to come to read stories with my husband and me. This year Ryan was unable to attend so I just could not go around finding children who had no where else to go, although I would grab anyone who we knew whose parents weren't there, and Rachael brought a friend from her class.

This year, sadly, at the end of a hallway, there was a little 1st grade boy. He sat with his little baggie of cereal, carton of milk, cup and spoon, in the hallway where he could see the front doors and waited for his Mom. When invited to join a group to eat and listen to a story, he refused, saying his Mom was coming and he wanted to wait for her. A few minutes later, he was asked again, and again refused. And there he sat, unopened food on his lap, watching the front door for the entire 30 minutes. When the time was up and kids started heading back to class he was still there - food unopened and untouched - looking at the front door.

My heart breaks. Maybe his Mom forgot, or wasn't able to get off work. Maybe she was sick or got tied up somewhere else. But we can imagine this little 1st graders emotion as he waited patiently and faithfully for something that did not happen. How do these poor children feel as they look around and see the lucky children happily listening to their parents or friends parents read?

Are the cons of this activity enough to outweigh the pros? Even if this affected only a handful of kids, is the negative emotion and effects of the event enough to change how this activity is done?

I believe as our society changes with poor economic times, more broken homes, more families struggling, we need to remember the few and adjust to meet the needs of all the children around us. If we continue to have these wonderful activities, we need to find a way and make an extra effort to help the children whose parents aren't there feel welcome in other group(s). To a child, this is by no way as good as having your own parent there, but it is a way to help them feel involved.

I may be over thinking all this and these children will adapt and thrive in this environment. But I, personally, wish to never see the lone child again, sitting at the end of the hallway, eyes filled with hope while he waits. Patiently.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

i congratulate you for doing your part not only with your own kids but with other peoples children. my heart breaks for all the children who had no parents there. and for that 1 little one who refused to believe his mother would let him down.

Six-Pack Momma said...

How sad is that? Thanks for the eye-opener. Being PTA President, it is good to hear things like that so I can avoid doing the same type of thing. The poor kids.

Melinda said...

That made me cry. Shame on the school for NOT having another activity for those whose parents are not able to come. That seems very obvious to me. Can't the teachers organize something? Our school does our reading times with parents before school.

Sadly, there may be no way around the child who expects his parent to be there and therefore refuses to join any other activity. We just make sure they know they are welcome with us.

Sad commentary, for sure...

SkyTang said...

great post! thanks for sharing. It reminds me that every event with my kids is a BIG deal! And reaching out helping others feel that they are a BIG DEAL is so important too.

Suzy said...

I think your school needs to change the way they do things. That totally breaks my heart.

Our Elementary school is in a high-poverty area and our principal is very sensitive to that. Because of that, the school does Family Reading NIGHTS. It is a much better and more considerate idea for low-income areas, and it spares the broken hearts of little kids. Your school is disregarding the families who probably need a family reading activity the most.

Your experience just makes me sad -- and kind of mad too. It makes me want to write a "strongly worded" letter to your principal. Maybe you can do that for me. :)

Thanks for looking out for some of the lonely kids, by the way.

Kim said...

This brought tears to my eyes. #1 because I am a mother who now works and was totally unaware our children even had this activiy. #2 I was thinking that could have been Shane--waiting and waiting. Coming from a single parent home I know what that 1st grader felt like. I know the hard times of watching a mom do the best she can and knowing how the mother must feel when she knows she may have disappointed her son.

As for the program--it is a good one, but knowing how the disappointments can emotionally drain a child--I wish the school would be more considerate of the working parent(s).

Alisha said...

I read this one with tears streaming down my face. I have seen both sides of this story. Working in an "inner-city" school was a very bitter-sweet experience for me. I have also been who enjoyed the reading activity with every kid that would join me. I have also been the mom who forgot about an activity, or couldn't get off work for an activity being held at the school and can imagine that little boy waiting is waiting for me.
Thanks for sharing.

crazyasays said...

I am on the PTA board at this school (for everyone else who doesn't know that) I have been fighting for 2 years for this reason, I felt for the children left out. in previous years you may remember we did "doughnuts with dad" and "muffins with mom" when I mentioned it at a board meeting that too many parents work, the other members came up with the "kicking it with kids" in hope that if one parent or both could not make it that a grandparent or aunt would come. as for me I still do not like it, but as the President pointed out to me this time for some kids is the only time they get to read with their parents. I am going to suggest that we find some alternative for the kids other then staying in the class room, I had times when i worked and couldn't make it and it broke my heart thinking of my kids watching all the parents come in and waiting for theirs. thanks for bringing this to my attention it will help me to have back up when bringing it to the committee. that is why I am on the board my big opinions I never stay quiet.

Jenny said...

You are sooo sweet! That's awesome that you helped those other kids. Too bad they don't have other activities. So unfair.