Wednesday, October 7, 2009

If I only had a brain...

How about if I only had a brain that worked right!  He he!


This is NOT my brain, BTW.  I got it off the internet.  :)


In February, I started noticing that when looking to the side in either direction I would see double.  My vision got worse the more tired I got and when I saw double, things weren't 3 dimensional anymore.  It got worse over the next few months, but I was dealing with other problems and wasn't sure where to start with this one.  During the summer I got my annual eye exam and the Optometrist said there was nothing I could do that that I probably had it my entire life and just noticed.  I didn't settle for that.  I went back to my Dr. and had him run some tests.  Besides being severely low in Vit. D, my thyroid was the only other major thing that was off.  I started having thyroid problems at the end of my pregnancy.  My thyroid hasn't been at normal levels yet.  It is hyperthyroidism, where it's producing too much hormone.

I had a second test 3 months after the first one to see where all the levels were.  My thyroid was still a little high (vit D was better) and so I went through a process to get into an endocrinologist recommended to me by my cousin.  It was a long process.  I also decided to go to and Ophthalmologist to get checked out.  He confirmed my double vision and did some tests with prisms.  He had me come back a month later so he could see if it was worsening or staying the same.  During that month I had my knee surgery.  :)  I came back and things were only slightly worse in one direction.

To rule out anything major - tumor, stroke, inflamation, etc, I had an MRI done.  It was not fun.  It was long and I was told I couldn't even move my eyes.  Not even when they were closed.  I was glad when it was over and took a copy of my films home.  Dr. Griffith thought it was probably a 90% chance that I have Graves disease- an autoimmune thyroid disorder where my body is attacking my eye muscles. 

The great news is that the MRI came back normal!  Hooray!  No tumors, strokes, inflamation or anything else that was unusual.  The bad news is that now we are starting from scratch.  The Dr. doesn't know what is causing my double vision now.  He is trying to determine the next step for me to take.

I have my appt with the Endocrinologist in another week.  Maybe he'll have more answers.   Then off to a Spectrolgist (doctor who specializes in putting prisms in glasses so that I can have some put into my glasses) or a Neurologist who specializes in eye disorders (there's one at the U), or both.  I'm sure I'll have some testing done with the Endodrinologist too so I'm not out of the woods yet.  I appreciate the thoroughness of the doctors helping me.

I won't get my vision back.  At least one of the muscles controlling my eyes have stopped working.  But I hope to keep it from getting worse and take care of the underlying cause.

Bring it on!  Lets get this show on the road and taken care of!  :)

7 comments:

Esther said...

What a ride! We are praying for you.

Six-Pack Momma said...

I had no idea you had so much going on. Since I'm kind of far away, and a little useless, consider yourself hugged.

Thinking of you...

{{{HUGS}}}

Robin Grant said...

Sorry for all that you are going through. You are in our prayers. I hope the doctors can figure things out for you soon.

Tami said...

Talk about quite the load you are carrying on top of church and being a mom which are two large loads in and of themselves. I hope that all goes well with your upcoming appointments and that you are able to regain your full vision and be okay. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Laurie said...

Wow, scary. Hope you get some answers soon- take care!

Jenny said...

That's crazy about your eyes. I hope they figure it out. Let me know if there is anything I can do. Love ya!

angela said...

Oh my, you are just not having a fun year, are you? Crazy when the body suddenly turns traitor on you! Praying for you to get it all figured out and fixed as much as possible...