Sunday, January 11, 2009

I am a Mother.


I am reading a book I bought myself a few months back and gave to myself on Christmas. It is a book I have always wanted to read but never bought until I saw it on clearance at a Deseret Book outlet store in South Jordan. It is called I am a Mother, by Jane Clayson.

I am tearfully devouring the book. (The 'tearfully' part probably partly comes from my emotions running high from very little sleep and forgetting to take my meds last night.) But this is a subject I have always struggled with. Jane Clayson Johnson wrote this book for me.

One of my favorite quotes from it so far is actually a quote she (Jane) has taped to her nightstand from Jeffery R. Holland:
"You are doing God's work. You are doing it wonderfully well. He is blessing you, and He will bless you, even - no, especially - when your days and your nights may be the most challenging. Like the woman who anonymously, meekly, perhaps even with hesitation and some embarrassment, fought her way through the crowd just to touch the hem of the Master's garment, so Christ will say to the women who worry and wonder and weep over their responsibility as mothers, 'Daughter, be of good comfort; thy faith hath made thee whole.' And it will make your children whole as well." ("Because She is a Mother", 37)."
I plan on finishing the book very soon (it isn't very long, luckily!) and if anyone else wants to borrow it, let me know. I hope this quote will lift any of you that may, like me, be having a less than stellar parenting day.

7 comments:

oretta said...

I really needed that quote. In fact I printed it off. I would love to borrow your book.

Tami said...

That is one of my favorite books! I wanted it forever, too. I followed Jane Clayson's career when she was on The Early Show. My dad tuned me into her. I admired her when she left work to be a mother, and I admired her more as I read this book! I am glad you got it on clearance. I definitely read it over and over. I also enjoy reading Linda Eyre's book, A Joyful Mother of Children. I am not always a joyful mother and she reminds me consistently to refill my cup.

Six-Pack Momma said...

Great book. Thanks for reminding me of what I needed to hear.

Kim said...

This book is at the top of my list of books that I LOVE!! I bought it the day it came out and did exactly what you are doing!! Devoured it!!!

Enjoy the book and Enjoy being a MOM!

niknfil said...

Jane Clayson spoke at a Conference I attended a while back. She spoke on the subject "I am a Mother" It was very inspirational. I am thinking I should read the book too.

Marc and Heather said...

Thanks for the encouraging thought.

Jenny said...

It is a wonderful book. Bless her for writing it! She's such a great example and you are a shining example to me!!!