Sunday, January 25, 2009

To work or not to work.

So, since this is sort of a journal for me I'm gonna post my thoughts before they explode from my head. I'll be short.
Ryan was told a couple weeks ago that they are going to lay off 11% of the training department at American Express. Because of the dynamics at his work, I fear this puts him at a great risk of loosing his job. Last week, they were told that the layoffs would occur Monday or Tuesday this week.

Today Ryan and I are fasting. Is it too much to ask for continual employment? I understand someone has to be laid off and if it is us, then I pray and hope for another job to come around very quickly. Our experiences with unemployment have been very hard and very long. Twice we have been unemployed for many many many months and I just can't bear to go through that again. Besides, we are now in a terrible situation to be laid off since we have a house and six kids. (Like it's ever a good time to be laid off. Whoever looses their job will struggle too, I know. If it is not us, I feel such compassion for whoever it is.)

We thank Heavenly Father in our prayers for a job that pays us what we need and gives us benefits. We have been so grateful for that during such recent rough economic times. For over a year now, Ryan has been looking for something that will provide better for our family. But we have made it this far and hope to keep hanging in there with what we have until the economy picks up and more jobs are available.

I have been pondering about what to pray for. I have learned in trials past that you pray for your will to be aligned with God's will. Today I prayed that I would feel peace and asked God to please please please not forget our little family. If this is a trial we must endure, I ask my Heavenly Father to provide a way for Ryan to support our family.

What a nervous week I will have. I will be glad when it is over, either way.

4 comments:

Marc and Heather said...

We'll keep you in our prayers also. Let me know if there is anything i can do to lessen your stress....

Six-Pack Momma said...

Oh, Diane. I can't even bear to think of it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Tami said...

We will keep you in our prayers, too.

Esther said...

We'll pray for you guys, that would be a scary time to wait through.