
So I am tall and have long legs. During high school my sister and I found we fit mens jeans pretty well. And mens jeans were awesome because unlike women where we are all supposed to fit into the same frame, you get to choose waist and leg sizes. Men would have a lot more sympathy for the amount of time it takes us women to shop for clothes if they had the limited size options that we have.
Anyway, so because of my body dimensions, it is very difficult to find jeans tall enough that fit good. I dislike shopping for jeans/pants the most of everything I have to buy because it only ends in tears! Capri's and skirts don't matter as much because they are supposed to be short, and I just find what is supposed to be a long skirt and when I wear it, it just looks like a normal length skirt.
I read a survey once online that said around 65% of women have cried in the dressing room. Yes, I admit I am one of those 65%.
A few weeks ago, I realized I was down to one pair of jeans and it was getting too cold to fake it with my capri's. So, I built my self esteem up and headed out to Kohls to find some. I tried on every brand of jeans in my size hoping one brand would be long enough since they don't sell tall jeans in the store at Kohls (you have to special order them online). I was getting to the point of tears when I had this idea... go to the mens section. So, I went and guessed on my waist size (lets see, pre-marriage size plus six inches) and chose the length I wanted. I tried them on and they fit good enough. Then I went home and ordered another brand of women's jeans in a tall online and brand of velour pants in a tall.
So, now I have 3 pair of pants extra long. And I get a little irritated with them. If you aren't wearing shoes, you might step on the back of the pant leg. This is a new experience for me. I haven't ever had that happen before!!! With my velour pants especially, I am pulling up the legs to go outside or walk down stairs to keep from stepping on the back of the pants. I suppose you shorter people just get used to it, but it seems pretty annoying. Plus, I was looking at the length of people's jeans yesterday and realized a lot of women wear shoes with heels so that means you don't actually step on anything. I don't like towering over people any more than I do so I keep my shoes as flat as possible.
I am happy to find longer jeans that fit nicely. Just something new. :)
7 comments:
I am taller than Suzy, yet she has longer legs by quite a bit. I have the problem you are talking about, but I am used to it. In fact, if I buy size 'short' pants it feels wierd to see my feet.
I am definatly a shorty. I am always stepping on the back of my jeans. I will admit that I have cried once or twice in a change room. I have also chewed my whole families heads off after a shopping trip.
Yay! I love good fitting pants too.
Pant shopping is VERY painful. I am happy that you found some good pants!
I feel for you, I really do. Pants shopping is the bane of my existence. Hurray for mens' pants!!!!
I learned a trick about checking the fit of the jeans from an Indian some time ago. He was on the sidewalk in Provo selling women's jeans. Since there was not a changing room in sight, I told him that I would not buy them unless I knew they would fit. He then told me to close the jeans in the front. Then he said to put the waistband of the jeans around my neck. If the waistband wouldn't go around the neck then the jeans will be too small. If they are loose around the neck then they will be about right. If they are too loose and the ends overlap, they will be too big. To me it seemed a little crazy but it seems to work about 90 percent of the time. Try it out on some jeans that you wear now and see if the "fit" of the waist is comfy around your neck. The Indian said that the waist is generally twice as big as the neck. So if you see someone in a department store putting jeans around their neck, they are checking to see if they would be a good fit. And I bet you thought they were trying to choke themselves...... Check it out.
I wish I had long legs. The petite look funny on me so I buy regular, but I do step on them all day long and they are all frayed and torn up in back. But it still looks better to have them longer. Good luck on your surgery, the thought still gives me chills. And I never tasted the cake but I think the Zauggs enjoyed it thoroughly! Thank you!
Post a Comment