Thursday, January 21, 2010

Side effects

Well, the risk of taking all medications are the side effects. This has been a roller coaster of a week since I have been experiencing possible serious side effects of the "orange pill" Diamox (which is the medication that I take to lower the pressure of the CSF - cerebral spinal fluid).  One of the not so common side effects are kidney stones.  I have never had them before which has been a frustrating process because I don't know what is normal and what is not.  However, I believe that I have them now.  My symptoms are definitely pointing to a kidney stone.  I went to the Dr. on Tuesday  who ordered a CT scan to determine for sure if I have stones and how big they are.  With some miscommunication between my insurance company and hospital, I can't get in to have a CT scan until tomorrow.  It's just been a big headache.  I feel better sometimes and then I'll feel yucky again.  Very nauseous at times a lot of pain but not necessarily back pain - although it's tender.  But then sometimes I'll feel fine.  


Since I had to immediately stop taking Diamox, I have lost the small amount of relief I was getting from the pill.  As odd as the other side effects were, it was nice to have less frequent and intense headaches, ringing in my ears, and pressure.  But now they are back.  The other main medication used to treat IIH (intracranial hypertension) is a cousin of Diamox so I can't take that one if I have had a reaction to Diamox.  My neurologists are anxious to hear if I indeed have kidney stones so that they know the direction to go with meds.  What happens if I pass the stone(s) before my CT scan?  Who knows?  


The neurologist has decided to try a water pill.  She says I'll have to drink a ton and take a prescription potassium supplement with it since it will drain my potassium levels and cause my muscles to cramp.  It will also make me have to use the bathroom all the time.  Sigh... from one pills side effects to another.  Whatever the will of the Lord - I will submit because I know this is for my own good.  :)


My good friend sent me this quote though which I have printed out and will hang up in my bathroom.  



Alexander B. Morrison, “The Spiritual Component of Healing,” Liahona, Jun 2008, 34–38
"The divine gift of healing is, therefore, manifested in different ways, tailored to the individual needs of those who are its recipients by Him who knows them best because He loves them most. Christ’s healing power may provide permanent relief in the sense that abnormal functioning of one or more parts of the body is corrected and the heavy burden of suffering lifted from weary hearts. But the peace, rest, and relief of suffering so devoutly wished for by those whose burdens seem ofttimes unbearable may come not from healing in a medical sense but from the gift of added strength, understanding, patience, and compassion, which enable sufferers to carry their burdens. Like Alma and his brethren, they may then “bear up their burdens with ease” and “submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord” (Mosiah 24:15)."  


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

3 comments:

EmmaLee said...

So are you hanging it up in your bathroom because you are going to be spending a lot of time in there the next few weeks? Maybe you should include a People magazine too, just for fun :).

Diane said...

Ha EmmaLee - that's really funny! It took me twice to get what you're saying. He he!

Tami said...

That has got to be so frustrating. I hope they pass quickly. What a great quote and a great attitude you have. Have you heard the parable of the diving team by Stephen Robinson? If not, let me know and I will share it with you. It is a great parable, but a little lengthy.