Monday, October 20, 2008

The elusive mouse.

I know most don't ever admit to this - but we have a very tricky mouse in our house right now. I guess I can always blame the mice on that we live next to the field and they tend to sneak past our dog and run into our home. Usually we just have a couple of them visit during the winter.

So, anyway, the other night I was cleaning up the kitchen and I heard a chewing noise from under our fridge. I grabbed a flashlight and watched and eventually saw a cute little brown mouse hiding around the corner. I ran and grabbed a mousetrap and set it up with some peanut butter and laid it between the fridge and wall. I was sure any moment I would hear the dreaded 'snap' from the trap and I was 'on edge' ready all night.

Well, the next morning, the peanut butter had been eaten away and there were all these tiny paw and teeth marks on it on the trap - but the trap had not been set off.

So, I decided to try cheese. (After all, they can't stay away from cheese, right?). This morning, the cheese ball on the trap was gone - and the trap was still set.

I tested the trap TWICE. It snaps fine. I reset it with another cheese ball for tonight. It will be 'fascinating' in a not so fascinating way to see if it eats the cheese unscathed tonight.

If it does... I could use some advice. Like I said, most people don't like to admit that a mouse has ever been in their house, but hey - a dozen families of mice could live in our house off the food on the floor and under the fridge and crumbs in the carpet. I figure they won't even have to try to get into the cereal boxes or bags of noodles with the bounteous food left for them in plain sight.

WAIT!!! That might be a good plan - sweep and mop after every meal so that there isn't any food out and we can starve them into wanting to eat the cheese...

Hmmm. I'm not that desperate yet...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, we had one of those recently! Not fun...Are you using a traditional mouse trap? If you are, I have some that are a little different, if you'd like to try them. They worked pretty well. It only took two days, I think, and it would be very hard for a mouse to steal anything out of them. Let me know!! Good luck!

Kim said...

What has worked for us is decon. You can buy it in the sticks down at the IFA store or even check out WalMart. We stick back in the far corners away from kids and animals and the little "tricky" critters eat to their hearts content. It is a slow painful death but what the heck it's Halloween and they deserve it for the torture they put us through. Any more questions give me a call, I still might have some, I just don't know how potent it is.

Jenny said...

It's war! Just kidding. Those were the words of Justin when we had a couple of mice in our house. I laughed because he, seriously, set up 5 or more traps in a small area downstairs. Let's just say, I didn't let Rachie down there. ;) I laughed and laughed because he was seriously at war!!! Funny what little mice do to us and I HATE listening to them scurry. Needless to say, that mouse was dead that night. Still makes me a little sad and happy at the same time. Good luck...no advise but "war time". lol. The advise above is much better. lol.