I always thought it was funny when the mom would crawl in her son's window or go in his room and rock him although her son was obviously too big to rock, and rock and sing to him.
I am beginning to understand the book better.I miss my kids problems being simple. I miss the extent of their troubles being eating too many noodles, having a tooth come in, bonking their head on a piece of furniture, or missing a nap. I could pick them up and hold them, take them in the stroller on a walk, rock them in a chair, sing or read to them, and it would solve the problem.
Problems get so complicated the older they get. I just had this image come into my mind this morning as I took Brandon to school that I wish I could just pick him up and rock him and make everything complicated go away. I wish I could take his problems and concerns away by snuggling him in his blanket and reading him a book.
But that just isn't life. I know they have to experience things to learn and make them tougher. I can only imagine how hard it is to be a parent the older your children get. It must be really hard to watch your kids experience life's problems and only be able to do so much. I think you must loose more power the older and more independent they are.
That's why I like the Matthew/baby stage. I have the power and control. I am the one that can solve all problems.
And that's something I miss.
3 comments:
We can still hold them tight, it's just different. As big as Brendon is, I still hold him in my arms everyday. I make sure I Hug and Kiss him, but must of all I tell him "I LOVE YOU"! There is power and control through these 3 simple words. Children respond when they KNOW their MOMS love them. They smile when they know they can go to them at anytime. Diane, Just hang in there. We all need to be refined, even our children. The Lord will sustain us as long we let him "hug/hold" us.
I love that book!!! It makes me almost cry everytime I see or read it!! :)
I do love that book! I feel the same way so many days. I think that is why I cried so hard after dropping Austin off at middle school the first day. I just count my blessings that we talk and I am a different part of his life. On a different note, I love watching him learn and grow, especially his testimony! :-)
Post a Comment