Yesterday I decided to clean out my closet floor and vacuum it. We have just a regular little closet that Ryan and I share. I have half (maybe a bit more :) ) and Ryan has the rest. We keep our hamper in the middle. Well, I noticed after digging my snow boots out yesterday morning so that I could go watch Kristin play a soccer game in the snow, that I hadn't vacuumed for awhile and it sure needed it!
I cleared out my shoes, the Costco size box of paper, the hamper, and my unorganized organized piles of clothes (maternity clothes I need to put away, clothing for DI, clothes that need to be repaired, etc). As I was clearing stuff out, I found a few jelly bellies on the floor. I have a big Costco thing of jelly bellies in my closet and so without much thought, I popped one in my mouth. It was pear flavored. Yum! Then I looked down again and noticed a whole bunch of mouse droppings that had been hiding under my shoes surrounding those loose jelly bellies. That pear jelly belly wasn't tasting so good anymore.
It reminded me of my sister. Her husband Josh got a job right out of college teaching English at an American university in Cairo, Egypt. So they moved their kid out to Egypt for a couple of years. That alone makes her pretty brave. I remember getting this email from her one day. I thought it was the funniest thing ever. She didn't at the time, but I hope she has found humor in it by now.
From what I remember, the pharmaceutical industry is a little less regulated there. She had a prescription for some medication she needed and went to go get it at the store. Apparently, some of these store guys will switch out expensive medications for cheaper ones. So, you may go in to get a type of medication and will come away after paying for the box of more expensive medication with the right box but the medication inside will be a totally different one.
So, my sister went and got some medication, went home and started taking it. She somehow realized it wasn't the right type and that her medication had been swapped out. Upon further review, she found out that she had been swallowing suppositories.
Like I said before, I found that hilarious at the time, but she didn't think it was so funny. Suppositories are definitely something you should not eat.
Brandon was my poison control kid, probably because he was the oldest. He ate half a huge caterpillar once, some Desitin, Tums, and Eucerin cream. Kristin is a close second with poision control experiences. She once bit a thermometer (one of those glass mercury ones) and broke it. She also drank an entire bottle of childrens Motrin. Recently she also confessed to finding a M&M in the car and popping it in her mouth. It was really an Excedrin and it tasted terrible and so she spit it out.
Those are good examples of other things you definitely should not eat.
So, we eat these not so great things and survive just fine. At least, most of us do. My sister is a pretty tough cookie. Brandon is pretty normal. Kristin is alright too. If I start squeaking or twitching my nose though...
4 comments:
As a kid, I regularly ate ABC gum that I'd find on our garage floor...all smashed down by people's shoes and all. It makes my stomach churn just thinking about it.
Your post ended happily at least, I was fearing when you said you ate the jelly bean without a thought. I was sure the next phrase was going to involve something even more stomach churning than just SEEING mouse droppings. Yuck!!!
I like Melinda was worried how things would end. Glad that you didn't get SICK.
I tag you the tag is on my blog. :)
I like Melinda was worried how things would end. Glad that you didn't get SICK.
I tag you the tag is on my blog. :)
Are you sure the jelly bean wasn't chocolate souffle, or chocolate pudding, or of some other brown nature? ;) I'm happy it wasn't the above...Too funny.
Post a Comment