Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Manly soap.

Ryan was washing his hands the other night with my Bath and Body works tropical smelling soap and said "Man, someday I am going to get myself some manly soap".

"Manly soap? Like what, it would smell like a bathroom smells? Would it smell like oil and car grease? How about like sweat and B.O.? What do you mean manly soap?"

Of course I knew what he meant, but I have a hard time understanding why a good smelling soap isn't a good smelling soap for everyone! It isn't like I buy flowery smelling soaps, or soaps that are obviously girly. Tropical or vanilla smelling soap is good for anyone in my opinion!

Ryan insisted that it wasn't just the smell though. It was that this soap made his hands all soft. I guess 'manly soap' would have dirt particles in it so it could roughen hands instead of making them smooth. Maybe some sand or small rocks. How about making the outside of the soap sandpaper so that it really roughens up those soft parts of mens hands?

I like it when I am holding hands with Ryan and his hands don't feel like they just were grated with a cheese grater. Don't get me wrong, I don't want him to have woman feeling greasy hands, but I don't see anything wrong with them being soft. He wouldn't put any lotion on them for anything anyway, so I don't think his hands being too soft is an issue for him.

So, if I were to make manly type soap, what scents and specialties should I put in it? Gasoline scent with small beads of oil? Armpit scent with dirt particles? Stinky sock scent with real sock pieces to add to the lasting essence of the smell?

Maybe you guys have some good ideas. Let's invent some manly soap!

And yes, I know they make soap for men too - like Lava soap. Just bear with me on this one. :)

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Ok, I gotta comment on this one. Guys. (Maybe I should rephrase that, there probably aren't any other males that would read this.) Ladies. Have you ever had to scrub car grease off your hands with Warm Vanilla Sugar squirty soap? Or Cucumber Mellon, or Sensual Amber? It's like trying to rub grease off with grease! In order for me to get ANY progress towards clean hands, I need to scrape with my fingernails - the only way to get friction! Slippery on slippery just don't work.

YES, it is possible to be too soft. Diane bought me a new pillow a few months ago, and I promptly gave it back to her because it was TOO soft and fluffy. (Now that I think about it, that was probably her plan. I ought to give her a circular saw for Christmas!) The smell really doesn't annoy me, in fact, I rather like the smell of Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin, or Midnight Pomegranate. But please, put in a bar, throw in some grit, slap on a picture of a construction worker you might see on a Ford Truck commercial, and cut the price in half. Then call it something a little more masculine, like "Grime Buster" or "Jack Hammer Clean" or "Dirt Demolition Bar".

I think a good spinoff to Bath and Body Works would be Garage and Body Builders - Complete Clean for Men. Sounds, (and feels, and smells) good to me.

Esther said...

That's funny! We are currently using some soap that smells like B.O. It is Zest "Ocean Energy". It doesn't smell when you smell it dry, but when it's wet, it smells like B.O. but luckily you can't smell it after drying off. I am too cheap to just through it away, but I'm never buying that scent again! Maybe I'll bring a bar for Ryan to try.