This recipe was the most helpful however (pg 59 and then again on pg 95) and will remain highlighted in my book. I thought I would share it with the rest of you.
Squirrel (or Rabbit)
Soak fresh game meat for 1 hour in brine by dissolving 1 TB salt for each quart water. Rinse.
RAW PACK: Separate squirrel or rabbit at joints. Bones may be left in or removed. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Ladle hot water or broth over meat, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. For boned meat, process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour, and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
HOT PACK: Boil, steam or bake squirrel or rabbit until about 2/3 done. Separate at joints. Bones may be left in or removed. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Ladle hot water or broth over meat, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. For boned meat process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner. for bone in meat process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 15 inutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
YUM YUM!!!

(I wonder if they taste like chicken or have a type of nutty flavor to them. How many could you fit in a quart jar? Do you think I should save the skin to make a hat or coat?)
RAW PACK: Separate squirrel or rabbit at joints. Bones may be left in or removed. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Ladle hot water or broth over meat, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two-piece caps. For boned meat, process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour, and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
HOT PACK: Boil, steam or bake squirrel or rabbit until about 2/3 done. Separate at joints. Bones may be left in or removed. Pack meat into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headspace. Ladle hot water or broth over meat, leaving 1 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Adjust two piece caps. For boned meat process pints 1 hour and 15 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 30 minutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner. for bone in meat process pints 1 hour and 5 minutes, quarts 1 hour and 15 inutes, at 10 pounds pressure in a steam pressure canner.
YUM YUM!!!

(I wonder if they taste like chicken or have a type of nutty flavor to them. How many could you fit in a quart jar? Do you think I should save the skin to make a hat or coat?)
5 comments:
I love your sense of humor! I had a good laugh! Thank you!! :) You made my day!
Watermelon rinde? Squirrel? Yuck! I won't smell around your house at dinner time! lol
That is absolutely disgusting. You'd have to be SO hungry to consider something like that. Wow.
-Suzy
You always make me laugh! I will have to tell you one day about the squirrels in my house. I had 2 come through the fireplace, and different times. I used to like squirrels, now I really don't like them at all.
Post a Comment