Fire Safety
In order to prevent the Passey household from burning into a pile of ashes, the following rules should always be followed.
1. It is important to pay attention to the task at hand, not allowing yourself to become distracted. (Cooking can be a dangerous activity!)
2. When turning on the stove top, check to make sure nothing is on the burner you are turning on. Things that may cause a problem include but are not limited to the following:
- Any type of dishrag/dishtowel - ESPECIALLY hot pads. (Despite the misleading name, they do burn quite easily (see picture).)
- Empty pots or lids
- Utensils (especially plastic or wooden!)
- Children
- Bread bags
- Plates, cups, or plastic bowls
- Small appliances

3. If you happen to not obey rule #2, put out the fire quickly in the kitchen sink as soon as you smell the putrid, nauseating, poisonous fumes.
4. Open all windows and doors to allow fumes to escape as quickly as possible.
5. Wonder why the smoke alarm isn't blaring although the smoke could possibly be thick enough to make your eyes water and nose burn.
6. Turn the swamp cooler onto high.
7. Leave the premises.
8. It is ESSENTIAL to make sure if you happened to just put a baby in the highchair, that you take the baby outside too instead of leaving the baby inside while saving yourself. That would be incredibly selfish. The highchair should be empty.
It should look like this...

What is the worst thing you have ever burned while cooking?4. Open all windows and doors to allow fumes to escape as quickly as possible.
5. Wonder why the smoke alarm isn't blaring although the smoke could possibly be thick enough to make your eyes water and nose burn.
6. Turn the swamp cooler onto high.
7. Leave the premises.
8. It is ESSENTIAL to make sure if you happened to just put a baby in the highchair, that you take the baby outside too instead of leaving the baby inside while saving yourself. That would be incredibly selfish. The highchair should be empty.
It should look like this...
9. When you can re-enter your home, light as many nice smelling candles as possible to hide and cover the terrible smell that may come from the burning objects.
10. Put the burning object into the outside garbage can (after taking a picture for your blog).
11. Change the menu from indoor cooking to outdoor cooking.
10. Put the burning object into the outside garbage can (after taking a picture for your blog).
11. Change the menu from indoor cooking to outdoor cooking.
By following these easy steps, everyone can enjoy a dinner together
happy and healthy.
(Except the poor baby that may have possibly been left inside. Please don't tell him when he is older and shows odd symptoms, where they may have come from.)
happy and healthy.
(Except the poor baby that may have possibly been left inside. Please don't tell him when he is older and shows odd symptoms, where they may have come from.)
(besides yourself)

4 comments:
My worst experience was when I had these plastic stencils on the back burner and Ethan, who was about 2, put a chair up to the stove and turned the burner on (scary, I know). The smell the came from that was beyond belief horrible. Ugh!
I have lit some dishcloths and minor plastic items on the stove, but yours sounds much worse! I'm glad you didn't burn the house down or anything.
Good luck getting rid of the smoke smell. Remember how bad it was that one time (growing up) when I left pizza in the microwave for 25 minutes and we had to wash the walls and everything?
Wow. That was a close one. Looking at the bright side of life - I never liked that particular hot pad anyway. The baby probably was entertained by the pyrotechnics anyway, so don't worry about him. You were awesome to save our entire house from burning down, a real American Hero. Plus, a good stench can be cleansing to clogged up nasal passages, (so I hear). Anyway, Thanks for the fire safety tips. I'll remember them next time I try to burn down Burger King.
Shelby came home and told me that your kitchen had been on fire and I didn't believe her. I guess she was kindof right!!
That is CRAZY!! I am glad that everything turned out OK and you were all safe.
I am glad to say that I haven't burn anything but the food. Once I burned garlic bread it was so GROSS and the house smelled so BAD and I think we had to leave the windows open and burn candles for three days, before it smelled any better.
Good Luck with the smell and the clean up!!
Post a Comment