Today was Kristin's birthday party. I got up early to start preparing and still have messes everywhere. Why am I posting instead of cleaning up a mess? Because it is becoming more and more apparent that in my house
MESS = FUN.
I have kids running in and out of my front and back door. They made chocolate molds, gumdrop and apple animals, and ate brownies and ice cream. There are streamers, balloons, wrapping paper and gift bags, and empty packages strewn around my living room and paper remnants from a game in my front yard next to some snow gloves, dice, a scarf and a hat. I have been working in the kitchen for over an hour now trying to get things cleaned up and the messes keep sneaking in. But,THE KIDS ARE HAVING FUN!!!
Creativity is running wild. I love seeing the things they are creating with all the stuff out. I love that my front door and back door have been open more than closed. I love that everyone made so many chocolate things that they are sick of them. I love that I can cook a package of turkey corn dogs, half a package of hot dogs, and warm up the leftover cheese pizza from last night and kids will come and eat them between games.
Now, the thought crossed my mind to take some pictures to help spice up this blog, but anyone who frequents my house very much will wonder what, if anything, is different. That's because when it comes down to it, we have 8 people living in this house. Things get left out, eaten, played with, used, and even abused and that is life. A couple months ago, as I was being so frustrated with trying to keep my house clean, this inspired thought came into my mind....
In my house, a messy house is a happy house.
Now, that doesn't mean that I enjoy living in a barn. I would love to have my home squeaky clean. But this situation is that if I want to be happy and have my kids happy, the house is not going to be pristine. I was so miserable making my kids clean the house on Saturdays that I had to stop trying to get so much done. Now every Saturday I expect my kids to clean certain things and we spend time together deep cleaning. We also clean small areas during the week. But the entire house is not going to be spotless all at the same time.
And with the happy sounds my kids and their friends are making, I don't care. There is not TV or playstation/nintendo on and they are using their creativity and playing and having a blast making messes. I am sitting here watching the time fly by and I am fine. These sounds are exactly what I envisioned my home to be like. I wanted to be the place kids would gather to play because there weren't severe restrictions on mess and noise and food and time. Today, that is what I am. That makes me happy. :)
Okay quick edit... there are definitely things I DON'T love about the messes... (like getting the kids to help clean them up). I am normal (in some people's eyes). Just wanted to post about what I have come to accept. What I don't love about messes will come in another post on another day... :)
Now, that doesn't mean that I enjoy living in a barn. I would love to have my home squeaky clean. But this situation is that if I want to be happy and have my kids happy, the house is not going to be pristine. I was so miserable making my kids clean the house on Saturdays that I had to stop trying to get so much done. Now every Saturday I expect my kids to clean certain things and we spend time together deep cleaning. We also clean small areas during the week. But the entire house is not going to be spotless all at the same time.
It is not worth my sanity.
And with the happy sounds my kids and their friends are making, I don't care. There is not TV or playstation/nintendo on and they are using their creativity and playing and having a blast making messes. I am sitting here watching the time fly by and I am fine. These sounds are exactly what I envisioned my home to be like. I wanted to be the place kids would gather to play because there weren't severe restrictions on mess and noise and food and time. Today, that is what I am. That makes me happy. :)
Okay quick edit... there are definitely things I DON'T love about the messes... (like getting the kids to help clean them up). I am normal (in some people's eyes). Just wanted to post about what I have come to accept. What I don't love about messes will come in another post on another day... :)
1 comment:
amen sister!!! I am glad to find your blog. Thanks for checking mine out.
Post a Comment